Wednesday, September 11, 2013

First Tour of Alberta

This past Sunday marked the end of the first Tour of Alberta, a 6-day cycling race that started in Edmonton and ended in Calgary.
 
I am not a road biker (and would barely consider myself a mountain biker), but the racers passed within 2 blocks of my house and I couldn't pass up the chance to see Ryder Hesjedal and other famous cyclists in real life.
 
Actually, I still can't really say that I saw Ryder Hesjedal in real life.  I had plopped myself down on the median with a few other bystanders and was taking some test photos when I heard cheering.  I looked up from my screen to see the first cyclists zooming down the road.  I  barely had time to snap a quick photo.  Then I just held the trigger down on burst and hoped that I got some good shots as the peloton sped by.   
 

Awesome to see so many cyclists on what's normally a busy road.  Reminds me of
the critical mass events in Vancouver... except no naked people, and no road rage.

More cyclists.


The same road, photo taken just over two months ago at roughly the same location.
Photo credit: Calgary Herald
If you're confused about the last photo, at the end of June 2013, Calgary and other parts of southern Alberta suffered one of the worst floods in over a hundred years.  We made the front page on CNN (actual headline: 3 dead in Canada flooding.  They do know that Canada is a really big place, right...).  After suffering a lot of heartache over the past few months, it was nice to have a reason to celebrate.  My heart goes out to those who are still cleaning up and facing uncertainty.   


4 comments:

  1. Wow those racing pictures look pretty amazing! I bet it was even more amazing to see it up close.
    And I'm so sorry to hear about the flooding :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely amazing to see the riders up close! I'm glad I went.

      Mother Nature can be such a force. My heart is breaking for Colorado.

      Delete
  2. At least during the Calgary flooding, Calgary had a mayor who actually led and you know, did things. Unlike Toronto's mayor, who during the major thunderstorm in July sat in his SUV in his driveway running the a/c.

    ReplyDelete