Friday, November 1, 2013

Stop 2: New York City

From Portland, I headed over to New York City.  This was my second trip to the Big Apple, and although I think there is something to be said for seeing the sights, I also think it's fun to just hang out and pretend you're independently wealthy.

My friend Lester flew over from Australia to meet me, and we rented a beautiful apartment on the Upper West Side complete with grand piano.  We rapidly fell into a lazy routine of getting up late, maybe doing something touristy like going to the High Line or the Natural History Museum, and then having a nice lunch.  Followed by some more wandering around, napping at the apartment and then heading out for dinner and debauchery.  (By debauchery, I mean a classical music concert at the Lincoln Center).

View from the High Line. Sorry, this is the only photo worth posting from this part of the trip. 
I liked every meal that I ate in NYC, but the highlight was probably the grilled fish and cracked rice at Le Baobab, a Senegalese restaurant in Harlem. Lester's aunt also made some crazy delicious bindi and aloo gobi.

By far the most unexpected thing that happened was that I started playing piano again. Piano was a huge part of my life from about age 3 until age 21. And then, over the last 10 years, I've barely touched  the piano despite having an upright taking up space in my house. Maybe it was the grand piano in the apartment, but I realized I've missed playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment