Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A few sale reviews

The sale room at Anthropologie in Calgary is looking a bit bare, but I was still able to find a few things that I was interested in trying on.  There are still quite a few Flounced Ponte Pencil skirts and Ruched Pencil Skirts at that particular store (see review here).

I don't remember seeing the Laced strata dress in the store on previous visits, but it had caught my eye on the website so I was glad to find it. The black panels in the dress are a thick and stretchy knit, while the contrasting panels are a nude coloured lace with lining underneath.  The overall effect is very pretty and feminine. The dress looks and feels expensive. Unfortunately, I think I know why there are so many of these hanging in the sale room. The skirt is way too poofy for my liking! Instead of draping gently, the skirt juts out abruptly from the hip. I think this might be something that could be fixed with pressing, but I wasn't willing to take the chance. If you decide to give this one a go, I find I usually have to size up in Eva Franco dresses and this one was no exception.

Dress: Laced Strata Dress
The only other thing I tried on today was the Shimmered Hourglass Sheath. It's made of sparkly, shiny tweed with black jersey panels on the side which is very flattering. My skin is pretty sensitive, so the fabric felt a little bit scratchy. I also think the material is a little bit too thick to wear in the summer. The sleeves are just cap sleeves and the armholes are on the low side, so this is not a dress that makes it easy/feasible to raise your arms. This is something that I'd consider for work but oddly enough, my job requires me to raise my arms fairly often so I gave this one a pass.

Dress: Shimmered Hourglass Sheath

6 comments:

  1. Those two dresses look great on you! I don't think the Laced Strata Dress is too poofy, but that might just be the picture. But I'm with you, if it's not perfect, if you don't love, if it's scratchy (I cannot abide discomfort), pass. Even if it's on sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember taking the photo in the dressing room and thinking that it did not do the poofiness justice. Add poofiness x 10 and that will start to come close to what it actually looked like!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! That Shimmered Hourglass Sheath is amazing. You look great in it. But I agree with Rachel. If it is not perfect, then pass. I cannot abide scratchy fabric.

    I do not remember the Laced Strata Dress. It could be because it is sleeveless and I try to avoid those. This severely limits what I can buy. Especially with Anyhropologie's recent offerings.

    Thank you for the reviews! I love them! It also opens my eyes to items I had not seen. I have your fluted skirt in my wishlist and I hope one day to score it.

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scratchy fabric is a deal breaker for me.

      I hope the skirt pops back for you! Would love to see how you would style it.

      Delete
  3. I found your blog!! I actually really like the second dress but I can see how scratchy fabric would be annoying if you have to wear it all day long! The fit is amazing though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I can totally see you wearing the second dress.

      Delete