Sunday, March 16, 2014

Breaking the rules

I've broken three of my rules with this outfit.

#1 I try to avoid buying multiples.  I figure there's only so much room in my closet (and my wallet).  I tried the Flounced Ponte Pencil Skirt in black a few weeks ago and loved it so much that when it went on sale, I ended up buying it in both black and red.  I have no regrets.

#2 I also try to avoid wearing one brand from head to toe.  I just feel like it might be a bit boring or predictable to do this.  The Dotlace Pullover is so versatile though that it seemed like a natural choice for this skirt.

#3 I have a thing against red matched with black.  Actually, I think that red is a tricky colour to match without looking like a holiday.  White makes me think of Valentine's Day or Canada Day, green is too Christmassy, blue reminds me of Independence Day... you get the picture.  I tried to break up the red and black palette with grey shoes here.

Sweater: Anthropologie, Dotlace Pullover
Skirt: Anthropologie, Flounced Ponte Pencil Skirt
Tights: Target
Shoes: Nine West
I realized that I haven't posted any photos of Oscar lately.  He's still a puppy, and it's hard for him to stay still for a long time (for him, I think that's anything more than 2 seconds).  So this is the best that I could do.

Do you have any style rules? Do you ever break them?

10 comments:

  1. I like red with turquoise but it does make for a blindingly bright outfit! i know what you mean about wearing one brand head to tow, but sometimes the pieces just work so well together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red with turquoise sounds interesting! I'll have to give it a try...

      Delete
  2. Oscar is adorable - and I am digging your outfit! I have been known to buy multiples of the same thing in different colors - sometimes, if something just Works, why fight it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your justification for buying multiples!

      Delete
  3. I think this outfit works perfectly! I have rules, too. Such as one accessory for an outfit. Plus I like my shoes to match my belt. I think it was genius to buy two of that skirt. It is so cute!

    Oscar is amazing! Oh my gosh! He is looking at you like, "well of course this outfit works Mommy. I could have told you that!"

    I am envious of that skirt!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't wear belts very often... or accessories in general. I've been inspired by a few blogs to try though (yours, Lisa's and Rachel's in particular).

      Delete
  4. I love your dog, of course. He looks pretty placid, but I know photos can be deceiving.

    I have many style rules of my own, but every once in a while they should be broken. Red is difficult. Red and black just seems so White Stripes to me. I think the sleeves on your top really help, if it were a solid black sweater it might be too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. White stripes, or Kiss, or boudoir, or something. I'm glad you think that the red/black pairing of this outfit worked out.

      Delete
  5. I don't think you need to worry about this outfit. It looks great and I love the dog in the photo as well. It's cute that he is looking up at you.
    Have a nice day,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad I took a bit of a risk with it.

      Delete