Sunday, May 18, 2014

Green stripes, green thumb

I don't have much of a green thumb and I rely very heavily on my mom for help in the garden which over the past 5 years has gradually descended into complete chaos..  Also, for some mysterious reason, my husband gets an uncontrollable urge to weed whack in the garden any time I've ever done any planting.

This year is actually the first year that I've gone to the store and bought my own plants for the window boxes.  I also planted some annuals and perennials in the beds in front of our house.  After my husband had already gone through with the rototiller, of course.

This is obviously not what I wore while planting.  I changed into this outfit to go for lunch with my husband.  He was busy building raised beds in the backyard for vegetables.  In the past, we've planted in containers but this year, we finally decided to get around to doing things properly.

Outfit details:
Dress: American Eagle (last year,  similar)
Shoes: Steve Madden (similar)
Scarf: from a market in Cambodia
My husband sometimes helps me take photos, and he always says that I never do anything.  I just stand there! So this was my attempt at doing something while showing the back of the dress.


8 comments:

  1. I would like to see you do a hair whip next time.
    The dress looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad is the total gardener in the family - I can keep houseplants alive but barely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any houseplants, so you're already ahead of me!

      Delete
  3. This is my favorite outfit ever! Those bright colors. Oh! They make me so happy! And the stripes?! We never plant anything. Or rather we do and then it dies. But I have been aching to add more flowers to our walkway. My problem is I love snails. And so I always just let them eat my plants. I am jealous of your vegetable garden. I would love one.

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenni. Flowers are fun. I'm actually very happy about how the garden turned out. Snails are not a huge problem here... maybe it's too cold.

      The vegetable garden is really fun! I planted lettuce, swiss chard, beans, peas, cucumbers, zucchini and tomatoes. I really like being able to go into the garden and cut some lettuce for a salad instead of realizing that the bunch I bought from the store 2 days ago has already gone bad.

      Delete
  4. Oh! I want to see the flowers (up close) and the vegetables!! We rent so we only have a balcony but I would love to someday have a place where we can grow our own vegetables. My husband is the one with the green thumb. He is always picking up seemingly dead plants off the sidewalk, bringing them home and bringing them back to life.
    Love the dress! Green is my favorite color!
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We grew stuff in containers for a long time. Tomatoes and lettuce do well in containers!

      I'll try to post a better photo of the garden soon.

      Delete