Monday, June 30, 2014

Black and white

I got my hair cut last week, and on impulse, I asked my stylist to chop off about 5 inches.

Fortunately, my impulse turned out to be a good one, I think.  I had a few seconds of panic when she started cutting but I was happy with the results.

You can see a bit of my vegetable patch in the background. There are tomatoes in cages, and then there are some bean, pepper, zucchini and cucumber plants along with a few rows of swiss chard and lettuce.  I'm pleased to report that there were minimal casualties from the hail storm we had last week.

Top: Forever 21 (similar here and here)
Skirt: Anthropologie Flounced Ponte Pencil Skirt 
Shoes: Nine West (similar)
Purse: Burberry Petal (recently on sale)
If you've been reading my blog for a while, you've probably noticed that I'm slow to adopt trends (ie animal prints, peplums).  I've been equally hesitant to try wearing crop tops, but I've found a way to make them work for me.  

I've seen other ladies totally rocking the tight crop top with high waisted jeans combo but I'm more comfortable wearing a looser crop top with a high waisted skirt, and trying to keep things a little bit on the dressier side.

Are there are any summer trends you've been wanting to try?

11 comments:

  1. I like the chop- I'm a fan of short hair for summer, it looks fresh and cool. And I'm on board for the vintage-y and classy crop top. I like the smooth swing to this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm working my way up to going even shorter... I think!

      Delete
  2. Oh Liana! Beautiful haircut! I am in love with it!
    I too have been looking at crop tops for my high waisted skirts. I also do not think I could do the crop top/jeans thing. I would want to do what you did with your outfit here - pretty and sophisticated.
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your hair! LOVE IT! And that outfit is killer. You will look so good with that chambray shirt from Anthropologie shaped like that. I could never wear a top like that. You look amazing! And I love that pop of color with the purse is so good!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenni. I'll have to look up the top on the website.

      Delete
  4. Your hair looks great but then again, you have the hair that I want. I got a chop job recently and for summer it will be OK, but I am in need of a new hairstylist. Mine left to be a stay at home mom about a year ago so I have been sampling different hair salons ever since.
    I'm not one to follow trends but I do get happy when something I love comes into fashion like costume jewelry or the color pink.
    I like this look on you and the skirt fits so perfectly!
    I'm really looking forward to my home grown tomatoes too.
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Stacey. I imagine that where you live you probably have a good growing season for veggies. I will probably have tomatoes by mid-August.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hair looks great, glad you liked in the end despite the moment of panic. Besides, it's just hair, it grows back! (That's what i'm telling myself.) Love the crop top too, I would like to try it but I don't think I want to show off any of my wobbly stomach pooch. :P

    Your garden sounds amazing. I wish I had a green thumb, my parents are amazing gardeners but I killed a cactus. I think that takes a special talent. I'm trying again though, I've started a pot of mint on my condo balcony and if that goes well I may even try basil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, luckily my hair grows really fast (I had one disastrous chop in high school that still makes me tearful when I think about it).

      Wow. Killing a cactus is impressive! I killed an orchid by overwatering it. My garden only looks this good because my mom gives me lots of plants every spring. She lives about 20 minutes south of me and her growing season is noticeably longer.

      Delete
  7. If I tried the crop top trend, I'd probably try something like this, too. It's very chic and feminine. The more edgier stylings are just not me. I saw another girl wear a high-waisted column maxi skirt with a fitted crop top. It gave a long, slim silhouette and was another interesting play on the crop trend.

    What I think I like so much about your outfit is how flouncy the crop top is. It's feminine and playful and doesn't feel like the Spice Girls crop tops I picture whenever I hear the word. I like seeing how different bloggers style the different crop tops because they're really more diverse than the image of Scary Spice I have in my head. Your styling is just lovely!

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete