Thursday, June 26, 2014

Sasquatch Teat

Last weekend, my husband was mowing the lawn when a car pulled up alongside him and a man leaned out of the window.

"Can you tell us how to get to the Sasquatch Teat?" He asked in a thick French accent.

To his credit, my husband was only momentarily confused. The mountain behind our house is called something that sounds similar but is extremely offensive.  It's a peak west of Mt Charles Stewart and has no other official name.

I like Sasquatch Teat much better.

He helpfully gave directions, and they were off on their way.

Later that day, we saw the rescue helicopter circling near the peak. I hear that they made it to the summit and then decided to take an alternate route back down... then got cliffed out.  But they are ok.


I'm not usually much of a hiker, but I can't climb much right now because of a wrist injury so my husband was able to talk me into doing the scramble up "Sasquatch Teat". It doesn't get a lot of traffic, and parts of the trail were ridiculously steep. Most of the hike follows a ridge with a sheer cliff on the other side, so the views were pretty amazing.  Definitely worth doing if you're ever in the area!

7 comments:

  1. How beautiful! Glad to hear those people got out okay! Love the name - hee hee hee.
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liana - I went ahead and put you on my blogroll anyway. If for any reason you do not want to be on it just let me know!
      xo,cynthia

      Delete
    2. Cynthia, I'm delighted to have you following me. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I tried to comment the day this post went up three times, but it kept kicking me out. I hope it works this time:

    That looks beautiful and also like quite a hike. I hope your wrist gets better soon. I know that must be frustrating because you probably want to climb now that it is good weather. You piqued my curiosity. At first I thought it was just going to be Giant T. But then I looked it up and you are right it is very offensive. Gorgeous though. So gorgeous. You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful area. I bet you see all kinds of wildlife there. Maybe even a sasquatch?

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm. I'm not sure why my website went a bit crazy. But I'm glad you were able to post.

      One of the other local mountains used to be called Chinaman's Peak. There was a campaign to change it a few years ago, and now it's called Ha Ling Peak instead. I remember one of the arguments against changing its name was that if we did, then we'd probably have to change all the other offensive names around town. Um, yeah. Unfortunately though, that hasn't actually happened.

      Delete
  3. I was also curious about what the real name of the mountain is so I looked it up. Ah, gotta love these inappropriate names. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you happen to read the CBC article about kaffir limes? Apparently, kaffir is an ethnic slur. I had no idea. Also was completely floored when I read what Brazil nuts used to be called.

      Delete