Thursday, July 17, 2014

Food and an Outfit: 34th birthday!

I turned 34 on July 9.

Most days, I still feel like I'm 11 years old.  This might be because I tend to not make a huge deal of my birthdays, and in fact, usually the only tradition I have is to take a day off work. And that might be because my birthday is after the school year ends, and when I was a little kid, most of my friends had already left on their holidays by the time my birthday party rolled around...

But I digress.

This year, as usual, I took the day off.

I went to the lake, read magazines, and got bitten by lots of mosquitoes.  Even swam in the lake.  It was a beautiful day.

Quarry Lake. This is what passes for a beach in the mountains. 
My husband and I had dinner at Rustica Steakhouse at Silvertip golf course.  Not surprisingly, we opted for steak.  (Chateaubriand, if you want the details).  It was yummy.  There are no pictures because no matter how you slice it (pun intended), medium rare meat in its own juices is not particularly photogenic.

Here's what I wore.  There seem to be an infinite number of iterations on this dress.  Fit and flare, optional straps.  I opted for the straps, of course.  I liked this dress because of the pretty embroidered flowers.  The centers are cut out, and the slip underneath is yellow and shows through.

Dress: Anthropologie, Forget Me Not Dress
Shoes: Nine West, old (similar)
Purse: Banana Republic (similar)
Closeup of the embroidery details, and a few forget-me-nots in our garden/jungle
It was a lovely day, and I'm another year older, and hopefully wiser.

12 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday! Wow! We are so close in days. Not years, though. I'll give you those three! ; ). That dress is just perfection. I love it so much on you. You look young and fresh and lovely. Pretty toe nails, too! Your day sounds fantastic, except for the mosquitos part. And I opted for steak on my birthday, too! It must be in the air. The pop of color in your purse is great. I am happy you had a wonderful day.

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had a great birthday this year.

      Delete
  2. Yay! What a wonderful birthday you had! Happy Happy BDay! Your dress matches the scenery at the lake. Sooooooo pretty. Both you and the scenery!
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You're right about the dress matching the lake. I hadn't noticed that!

      Delete
  3. Happy happy belated birthday! I am a big fan of taking your birthday off from work. (I couldn't last year because I had to go to a work offiste, then I didn't again this year because I had a week's vacation coming up and I regretted it, but my boss let me leave early so it was fine.) Sounds like you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope next year you manage to get the day off.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday! Summer birthdays are the best :) You look lovely in that floral dress, the blue flowers really pop against the white fabric. So fresh and a perfect fit for a day at the lake. You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Do you also have a summer birthday?

      I do feel very lucky to live where I do. I hope you had a great trip!

      Delete
  5. Happiest of birthdays! Your day sounds relaxing and wonderful (minus the mosquitos). I hates them. Yes, hates. Because my hatred is so strong it requires a plural "s". Anyways, my birthday dinner date with my husband is always one of my favorite birthday pastimes, and you looked so sweet and summery for yours! I love that the dress has a yellow slip! I wouldn't have even noticed if you hadn't pointed it out, but it's such a sunny, thoughtful touch!

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hates Mosquitos too but they love me. :(

      I don't have much yellow in my wardrobe but I do like it as an accent.

      Delete
  6. It looks like you had a great birthday! The lake looks so relaxing.
    The dress with the sandals is so cute for summer.
    Happy Birthday,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the lake on weekdays but living in a tourist town, it can get crazy on the weekends.

      Delete