Thursday, July 10, 2014

Food: Vero Bistro

One of the great things about our neighbourhood is that we're within walking distance of lots of amazing restaurants and shops. 

Our favourite is Vero Bistro.  Actually, Vero would probably be one of our favourite restaurants in Calgary. The servers are always attentive and friendly.  The ambiance is cozy and romantic. And the food is freaking fantastic. The cuisine is French/Italian inspired, but there are also Asian and Spanish influences.  

Their brunch menu is amazing.  I highly recommend the Berkshire pork ragu poutine, the sweet potato gnocchi with gorgonzola, and just about everything else. My husband would probably recommend the Iberian ham... he insists on starting every meal at Vero with a plate of finely sliced Jamon Iberico, preferably with a glass of prosecco to wash it down.

We often head over there for dinner; the menu changes fairly frequently but there's usually a delicious fish or seafood option, and they have great options for wine pairings.  Also, during the week, they have some interesting specials.  Tuesday is usually a "no menu" day, where you eat whatever tasty creation the chef prepares.  And Wednesday is steak and frites day; you get three courses including a yummy salad, steak and dessert.  Last week, they also had a lovely salmon option.  

Salmon and frites with asparagus

Mango sorbet and a cheesecake like dessert
Here's what I wore, with the photo taken in front of the hardware store.  I had trouble finding similar items to link to, but I'm able to say that Deletta regularly comes out with similar tank tops. 

Top: Anthropologie, by Deletta, old
Skirt: Club Monaco Fleurise Skirt
Shoes: Puma, old
Bag: Banana Republic, old 

8 comments:

  1. Love the idea of a "no menu" restaurant! Also, great outfit. That Club Monaco skirt is on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun. They usually give an option for the mains (like salmon or steak) so everyone's usually happy.

      Thanks! I'm very happy with the skirt.

      Delete
  2. I have the same Deletta tee in green. I always wear it with a black skirt or black pants . Thank you for the inspiration to wear it with mint/yellow. So pretty!
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love this tee and wear it probably once a week. Often with black, just like you.

      Delete
  3. That food looks so yummy! I am intrigued by that ham and that is probably what I would get. I love that skirt so much on you. It is gorgeous. And I remember that top. I love it and the vibrant green color. How cool is that wall behind you? It's a hardware store? I think I could actually go in that one.

    One of my favorite memories as a child was going to a restaurant that had no menu and it was so good. You are so lucky to be within walking distance of good food. We are within walking distance of my favorite pizzeria, the town's bread shop, the best donuts in town, and A Starbuck's. But there are really no date night options. Plus, walking distance means I still drive there, because I am lazy. Hence, having never stepped inside the gym that resides there either. ; )

    Thanks for sharing! I love this post!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ham. I am drooling just thinking about it...

      There are a lot of cool artsy murals in Kensington. My husband has been in the hardware store a few times and he was pleasantly surprised by how well it was stocked. From the outside, it doesn't look like much.

      I love how walkable our neighbourhood is. We're thinking about moving, and would want to stay close by.

      Delete
  4. mmm the food looks delicious! and love your skirt here, so summery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you are having a nice summer!

      Delete