Saturday, July 5, 2014

Reviews: A few from the Tag Sale and some full-priced items

Anthropologie's Summer Tag Sale is still going strong, with an extra 20% off of markdowns.

The sale racks in Calgary seem to have several dozen of this tank top in different colours.  I tried the turquoise blue version in XS and the white version in S.  There was also a patterned magenta option.  I did not notice too much of a difference between the two sizes.  The fabric is kind of sheer, but I liked how it was drapey without being too clingy.

I thought both colours looked nice paired with the Songbird Skirt.  This is an Eva Franco design, and although this brand usually runs small on me, I took my usual size.  The pattern is very whimsical, with little birds, bugs and flowers.  The smattering of colours means that you can pair it with lots of different tops.  There is a lining, which oddly enough is a stretchy, tight fitting pencil skirt instead of an A-line lining.  It has piping and pleats which make it nice and flowy.  With the extra 20% off, this skirt ended up coming home with me.


Anthropologie Sloane Tank
Anthropologie Songbird Skirt

Anthropologie Sloane Tank
Anthropologie Songbird Skirt
I also tried on this pair of cropped pants, and I think this is possibly the first pair of pants I've ever reviewed on this blog.  Pants, in general, do not inspire me, but occasionally, I find they're necessary.  I found the fabric on these very stiff.  The hips and upper thighs were too loose.  There is a band just above the knee though that was way too tight.  These pants look cute on the website but they didn't work for me.  

Anthropologie Westport Cargos
Armed with my birthday discount, I actually tried on some full-price items.  These pants fit well and were super comfortable.  I also liked the length (no hemming required) and they seemed to be minimally wrinkled for linen pants.  As I mentioned above, sometimes pants are necessary, and I figured these would be useful for traveling.  I ended up buying them with my birthday discount.

Lana Linen Trousers
I also tried on this dress.  There were lots of things that caught my attention on the hanger: the lacy fabric, the feminine shape and the scalloped hem.  It has a nude slip underneath, and from the front, it looks great.

Anthropologie Windward Dress
Alas, from the back, not so much. Another pretty dress with a weird back detail. I'm not sure what this is but it seems to be causing the online reviewers similar consternation. (One review referred to it as a "shark fin". Ha.)

Have you bought anything from the Tag Sale? Any full-priced items that you're keeping your eye on?

13 comments:

  1. So much to say! First those Westport Cargos look amazing on you. I am surprised you did not think so. I wish I could look that cute in them. They are adorable. I have that tank in my wishlist, so I am so excited to see you try it on. And the songbird skirt! I am so glad you bought it. As a fantasy reader, it is a must buy! For some reason it reminds me of the series of books by the author of The Hunger Games written prior to that series. Why can't I remember her name? Is it Suzanne?

    That dress looks so cute in the front. But the back?!?! Oh my gosh! That is crazy! Why did they do that?

    Thank you for the reviews! I love when you do them. When is your birthday? Are you a Cancer, too?

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne Collins? You mean the Gregor books?

      The Westport cargos just weren't very comfortable. I find it hard to find pants that fit well. Sigh.

      My birthday was yesterday (July 9) which does make me a Cancer. I had a nice day... actually went swimming and read, which I think is exactly what you were planning on doing. I went swimming at the old quarry, relaxed in the sunshine and read a magazine, then went home and made a salad with fried halloumi cheese on top.

      Hope you had a wonderful birthday too!

      Delete
  2. Why on earth would they add that fabric to the back of that dress. It is so pretty from the front. I wonder if it can be removed and if it would be worth the effort? The tanks are pretty too.
    I haven't checked out the tag sale yet but I may run in to an Anthro tomorrow.
    Happy Birthday Month, Liana! I love planning my bday Anthro purchases. So fun!
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about removing the back detail, but some of the other online reviewers commented that it would be difficult. Another anthro dress destroyed by a weird and not so whimsical detail.

      Thanks for the birthday wishes!

      Delete
  3. The Songbird skirt is so pretty, I might have to pick it up myself! Eva Franco definitely makes some lovely whimsical pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already worn it twice so it's definitely a keeper! This is the second Eva Franco item I've bought and I definitely like the style.

      Delete
  4. Ok, I'm jealous that you got a birthday discount...I got nothing! Wonder how I got dropped off Anthro's mailing list? But I didn't like anything in June anyway, it always happens that I like stuff the month after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. I would try emailing customer service. I didn't get a birthday discount last year and they emailed me one right away... and gave me an extra month to use it because it came late. Worth a try!

      Delete
  5. I like the lace dress a lot, it fits you very well! and lovee the blue shirt too, so boho chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you and your puppy are enjoying the summer!

      Delete
  6. I love the shark fin dress- I suppose that weird part could be sewn down somehow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it might be possible but I am not very good with alterations. Would love to see if someone else tackles this one!

      Delete
  7. "Pants, in general, do not inspire me." Amen to that! I will always pick a dress or skirt over pants unless I'm down to my last couple of pairs and I go searching deliberately for pants. I love the Songbird skirt on you, especially with the embellished blue tank. I'm always wary of print mixing or pairing a pattern against an embellished piece because I don't have a real eye for it, but I like how those two pieces work together on you! The reds and oranges stand out so much in that skirt, but the tank really pulls out the blue instead!

    I didn't get anything from the tag sale, but I did score two pairs of flats and a clutch on super sale after the tag sale ended. I never find sale scores at Anthro, so I am rejoicing!

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete