Thursday, October 16, 2014

An old favourite

I just realized that The Frock and The Hound is just over a year old! Time flies...

This is not my first blog. I started writing a blog in 2003 which I've continued to maintain up until now. Back in the day, it was fairly well-read and saw lots of traffic. But for various reasons, I made it private about three years ago though, and although some of my faithful readers still comment, that blog is more like a historical archive for me.

Over the past year, I feel like I've struggled to find my place in the style/fashion blogging community. There are so many different blogs out there, ranging from ladies like Khatu, who make their own clothing; to Yentina, who is always sharing her amazing vintage finds; to Nicole Warne, who is involved in high-end collaborations with Louis Vuitton and other designers. I still don't know what my voice is or what my purpose/motivation for blogging is.

I do know that I have really appreciated interacting with all of the lovely people who have commented on my blog or who have engaged in discussion with me on their own blogs.

I thought some photos of an outfit featuring something old and something new would be a good way to celebrate my (belated) 1 year blog anniversary. I've had this white shirt for almost 10 years, and it is a comforting, reliable favourite. I paired it with a Zara skirt from this spring.


Outfit details:
Shirt: Propaganda, Plen+y, very old
Skirt: Zara, Guipure Lace Pencil Skirt (only available in black now)
Shoes: Aerosoles, old
Purse: Banana Republic, old
This mural has been up for a few months, making what would normally be an ugly plywood barrier surrounding a construction site something unique and beautiful. But also temporary. I passed by the site last week and to my surprise and sadness, it had been pulled down.

12 comments:

  1. Congrats on your 1st anniversary of your blog! I love pieces that I have forever. When something's good, I keep it until it falls apart (or I suppose until my tastes change, whatever comes first). That's a gorgeous mural too, it's a shame that it's been taken down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I hardly ever give or throw any of my clothes away. I try really hard only to buy things I love 100%.

      Thanks for the congratulations!

      Delete
  2. I know how you feel about the blog situation. I would like to have a more clear goal and it's so important not to compare ourselves to other bloggers.
    I really like your outfit and I love the idea of something old and something new. I can't believe that your blouse is that old. White does not always hold up well and sometimes turns yellowish.
    Have a nice evening,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Stacey. I agree it's so important not to compare yourself to others.

      I've had good luck getting yellowing out with lemon juice, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda (plus drying in the sun). I'd recommend spot testing before trying this on anything, especially delicate fabrics!

      Delete
  3. Happy 1 year Blog Anniversary! Or should I say Happy 11year Blog Anniversary! What is your other blog about? Sounds like you are still updating it. Any chance you would let us take a look at it?
    My blog is about a year and a few months old and I am still trying to figure it out and decide which direction to go in. It certainly is crowded out there. I find it fascinating that you have another blog that is so old. Really awesome! I notice that the big successful bloggers all started before 2011.
    Love that green skirt and the mural! Bummer that they took the mural down.
    Congrats again! Here's to another fabulous year!
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. I will have to think about whether I want the two worlds to cross over. I suspect though that most people would probably not find my other blog that interesting...

      Thanks for the congratulations!

      Delete
  4. Happy blogiversary! Blogging is hard. I still am trying to find my way. That is awesome that you have been blogging so long. That takes a lot of incentive. Good for you! I love reading your blog. I am sorry I am behind this week. My daughter's birthday threw me for a loop.

    I love the mural and the outfit. That skirt is the prettiest color and it fits you perfectly. I love that you have had the top for so long. I am so sad that the mural was pulled down. I hope it went up somewhere else. It looks like a lot of love and time went into it.

    Happy 1 Year Blog Anniversary!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's nice to know that we all have the same struggles... and I'm glad to hear that you enjoy reading my blog.

      Delete
  5. What thoughtful reflections on your 1-year blogging anniversary. You share many of the same thoughts and struggles I've had, especially the bit about not knowing where you fit in. I think it's all about sharing who you are and finding a community of readers and other bloggers who appreciate your style. Mutually inspiring each other's style is one of my favorite aspects of blogging. My blog has definitely inspired in me a fashion and lifestyle evolution. And the best part about it is the community of women I communicate with on a daily basis.

    I love that your outfit is a tribute to your evolution, the old and new, and the past and future. I look forward to see how this space continues to evolve and grow!

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree that mutual inspiration is one of the reasons why I love blogging.

      Delete
  6. Happy blogging anniversary! I totally understand your struggle- it's easy to compare yourself to others and feel lost/question your blogging purpose. I think the best parts of blogging are the ability to do what you love and finding a supportive community who share interests and offer inspiration. Congratulations again and best wishes for a new blogging year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the wise advice. And for the congratulations.

      Delete