Monday, October 6, 2014

Edith Cavell: The Climb and Another Outfit


I have a huge backlog of posts. Life has been busy! I'm not sure that October is looking much better...

I wanted to share some photos of climbing Edith Cavell. Unfortunately, it snowed quite a bit the week before our attempt and we got about halfway up before turning back. On the drive home, my husband mentioned a statistic that success rates in alpine climbing are usually only about 1/7... which I totally disputed until I thought about my climbing history and realized, disappointingly, that he's right. I guess sometimes it really is more about the journey.

The views were pretty amazing. I took this photo looking back towards the highway. The grey clouds in the distance are not the most comforting sight when you're halfway up a big mountain. It started raining/snowing about 15 minutes after we got back down.



Most of the first part of the climb consisted of scrambling over blocky rocks. As we got higher, we started to find big drifts of loose, unconsolidated snow. 


We climbed back down the same way we had come up. The guidebook lists an alternate descent route if you make it to the summit that essentially involves walking almost all the way around the mountain. If you're comfortable with downclimbing, I think this way is a lot faster.


This little guy greeted us when we got back down to the morraine. It's a marmot! He seemed to have no fear and walked right up to us and started nibbling on a patch of grass.


My husband took these photos at the Jasper Park Lodge the day before. The dress is Anthropologie from last summer, and my husband thinks it looks like a vintage tablecloth. I have to admit, I do find this dress kind of frumpy. I'm not sure if it's because of the length, the shape or the thick frilly border at the bottom.



Outfit details:
Dress: Anthropologie Mallorca Midi Dress
Shoes: Nine West, old

12 comments:

  1. It's amazing the contrast between the snow on the mountains and your summer dress. I like the dress, I love that kind of neckline (deep Vs are my favourite), but I agree with you that something is just slightly off with the fit. I can't quite put my finger on it though.

    Will is currently in Nepal trekking up Gokyo Ri, I've been texting it and he says it's beautiful. Sounds like an amazing experience, I can't wait to see his photos. I'll let you know if he recommends it, it'd be more up your alley than mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually 27 degrees that day! Not the usual fall weather, and sort of weird the week after a giant snowstorm.

      I hope Will is having a great trip. Would love to see his photos if he lets you share!

      Delete
  2. Husbands say the funniest things!
    I had never heard of a marmot before. He is so cute! Like a big goofy cross between a bear and a seal.
    These photos are so breathtaking! The climbing looks terrifying though. I think I would have to tell myself not to look down over and over. You guys are amazing!
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love marmots. They also make this loud whistling noise to warn each other of danger. I guess the marmot did not think we were dangerous.

      The climb is actually a pretty easy grade. We were not roped up at all. I have to admit that I usually just do not look down. Ha.

      Delete
  3. wow those pictures are BEAUTIFUL!! so breathtaking :) and love the dress on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liana you are a bada**! Oh my gosh! That looks so scary. And you look so calm and awesome just chilling out on the mountain. I had never heard of a marmot either. Now I have to go look it up.

    I just wore that dress two days ago! I love it. I got it for $22.50 last year. My husband loves that dress. I wore it for him. I have never worn it on the blog because it always seems I wear it on days when there are no time for pictures. You look beautiful in it. Stunning. I love it!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually went through the photos my husband took and picked this one because I looked the least worried.

      Wow. $22.50 is an amazing deal! I think I got it on sale for $69.95 or something like that. I would love to see how you style your dress. Thank you for the kind words.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous! The climbing photos made my heart beat a bit faster. I love rock climbing gyms, but I think I would have a panic attack on an actual cliff-side. What incredible views, though!

    I love the photos of you in the lace dress. The backdrop is so vibrant and pretty.

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You rock climb too? That's awesome! You have some pretty amazing outdoor rock climbing near you. I've spent lots of time at Red River Gorge in Kentucky, and T-wall is supposed to be really good. I think you might surprise yourself outside if you like gym climbing... it's not that different (but I do think outdoor climbing is more fun!)

      Delete
  6. Wow what an adventure! That climbing picture looks amazing/super scary! Your pictures have me missing the Canadian Rockies!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susannah! Wish we could have finished the climb, but will have to leave it for next year.

      Delete