Saturday, December 13, 2014

Anthropologie: Post-Black Friday reviews

Sadly (or perhaps fortunately), I was in Vancouver for Black Friday. I can't get over the extra sales tax in British Columbia (it's 7% vs 0% in Alberta), so I stayed out of the shops.

I visited the Calgary Anthro store last week and am happy to report that there are still lots of good deals, particularly with the extra 30% off promotion that was ongoing last week. I think that is over, although there's a 25% off sweaters promo now.

Looking at the photos, I wonder if I should have brought this top home. It's a sheer, loose fitting cotton and polyester top that fits true to size. It is loose but not boxy. The material feels kind of stiff, and it's not as drapey as I would have liked. I think it would look equally nice tucked into a pretty skirt or under a blazer.
Embroidered Tulle Tunic 
I have a huge weak spot for any kind of top with lace detailing, particularly in the shoulder area. This lightweight sweater is made of a cotton modal silk blend, which I was surprised to discover. The online reviews suggest that it is too short/awkward around the waist, but I found it fit very well. It fits true to size and just skims the body. The length is definitely a little on the shorter side but it's still very wearable. One caveat: I'd suggest buying this one in person because some of the sweaters I tried on had threads on the lacy detail that had come loose and it'd be easy to snag and damage them. There are 4 different colours, and I actually ended up buying 3 of these. I think they were a great deal for $41.
Nettie Pullover 
Florals were a big trend this fall and winter. I like how the darker colours of the Baikal Dress make it transition well into fall and winter. The material is thick and substantial, and the fit and flare shape is flattering. I like the extra coverage around the neckline, too. They were out of my usual size, so I took a size 2 and it fit well except that it was a touch loose around the waist. I am not sure if that means this dress runs small. I don't mind if a party dress is a little bit loose around the waist... more room for Christmas dinner! I think this dress would look cute with gold heels, and I also have plans to layer a chunky sweater over it for work.
Baikal Dress
I am pretty sure my husband will tell me this looks like a lace doily but I'm ok with that. This comes in two colours, the off-white pictured here and a purplish grey colour. Some of the cardigans on the rack were looking rather poorly, with loose threads and tufts of fuzz so I'm not sure how this will hold up.
Odense Crochet Topper
This dress also comes in blue and black. The tulip hem is a little bit different, and you'll be happy to know that it is sewn so that there's no chance of a wardrobe mishap. The fabric is super soft and cozy. It felt like I was wearing fleece. It fits true to size. I love this shade of red, and ended up happily taking it home with me.
Splitshade Tulip Hem Dress
Did you buy anything during Black Friday?

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Anthro reviews! Very Helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Glad they were helpful!

      Delete
  2. I love everything you got! That sweater is amazing on you! You absolutely should have it in all of the colors! I am glad you got it in three. Both dresses are beautiful. The red one is my favorite. You look smoking hot. The white shirt is pretty, but there will be others like it. I think you made the right shopping choices! I did buy a few things on Black Friday. Two dresses from Dear Creatures. One of them does not fit right, but I do not think I can return it due to their return policy which is a big bummer. I have only been buying popbacks lately. I got a dress today. I hope it ships!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I read on your blog that you got your dress. Yay!

      You are right about the white shirt. I felt less regret about having passed that one over when I read your comment. And thank you for the nice words!

      Delete
  3. I do that too! Buy the same shirt in a few different colors if I really really love it! That red dress is so great! Love the tulip hem. Thank you so much for the reviews!
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Hope you are having a wonderful week!

      Delete
  4. I keep forgetting there's no sales tax in Alberta. Must be nice!! The two dresses are gorgeous on you, great choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... we're very lucky. I think... at least, until the oil money runs out.

      Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  5. Wow! I think all of these are winners on you! I'm also a sucker for all of the lace detailing around right now. Anthro has had some truly beautiful tops in mesh, with embroidery, and with lace. I love the first one - the Embroidered Tulle Tunic - because it's something I could wear tucked into a skirt, per my usual style. But it's also something that could do double-duty as a casual top. And I like my casual tops a bit longer in length.

    The Baikal Dress is such a stunner. I'm excited to see how you style it! I love that you too are mindful of extra tummy room for all of the holiday food. I'm glad I'm not the only one! Who says party dresses can't also be binge-friendly? lol

    I think the Splitshade Tulip Hem Dress cuts a lovely silhouette on you. It's so feminine and classic. The wrap tulip hem is such a lovely touch that really elevates the whole dress.

    Thanks for this set of reviews! I love seeing what you try on, as our figures are so different. It's fun to see what you pick out and how it works on your body. The Baikal Dress is one I might try on myself - not that I have the spending funds for it right now!

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz! I love seeing your reviews too. The sweater Nettie pullover reminded me of another top you had reviewed recently that had polka dotted mesh. They did not have that one at the store I visited.

      Delete
    2. I'm really wanting Baikal dress but can not find where to buy most places it is sold out and others do not eviam to Brazil!

      Delete
    3. I'm really wanting Baikal dress but can not find where to buy most places it is sold out and others do not eviam to Brazil!

      Delete