Sunday, March 15, 2015

Oscar de la Renta and Anthropologie

I have a particular soft spot in my heart for Oscar de la Renta dresses. They're whimsical and romantic and feminine and just generally magical. I loved Carrie Bradshaw's pink dress in Sex and the City, and I couldn't get enough of the dress Sarah Jessica Parker wore on Glee in this video.

I did notice that quite a few of the dresses on Anthropologie right now seem to be Oscar de la Renta inspired. I also found one at Banana Republic that made me do a double take.
Dress: Oscar de la Renta, available at Neiman Marcus
Dress: Banana Republic
I love the floral overlay on this Oscar de la Renta dress. Wish I had the kind of lifestyle where I could a) afford this dress and b) have somewhere fabulous to wear it!
Dress: Oscar de la Renta, available at Neiman Marcus
Dress: Fiona Eyelet Dress, Anthropologie
These two dresses are very similar in terms of the neckline, the colour, the textured fabric and the belt.
Dress: Oscar de la Renta, available at The Outnet (and on sale for 55% off)
Dress: Winnie Sheath, Anthropologie
The spray of flowers around the waist is a common element in Oscar de la Renta designs. They seem to release a similar version of this dress almost every season. I found two dresses at Anthro with a similar pattern. One is an A-line dress and the other is a sheath.  
Dress: Oscar de la Renta, available at Neiman Marcus

Dress: Sweetheart Roses Dress, Anthropologie
Dress: Tea Garden Sheath, Anthropologie
Eyelet seems to have been a trend for spring/summer. The shirt dresses in particular seem very similar. Although white is definitely more summery, I'd be nervous about getting the dress dirty and would probably opt for black.
Dress: Oscar de la Renta, available at Neiman Marcus
Dress: Georgia Eyelet Dress, Anthropologie
Dress: Oscar de la Renta, available at Neiman Marcus
Dress: Openwork Shirtdress, Anthropologie
Do you have any favourites from the photos I've shared in this post? Have you noticed Anthropologie channeling any other famous designers lately?

(Photos are from the Oscar de la Renta website, Anthropologie, Banana Republic and Neiman Marcus).

6 comments:

  1. I love that pink Sex and the City dress. Oscar de la Renta dresses make me want to swoon! Great eye for those "almost knockoffs". I really like the black shirtdress. Soooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that one's my favourite too. Seems to be sold out on the website though!

      Delete
  2. I also love Oscar de la Renta's aesthetic: feminine, romantic, and oh-so-chic. I love how you've compiled this list of inspired-by pieces at a fraction of the cost. It seems that Anthropologie knocks off the designer garment, then in a few seasons, Forver21 will knock of Anthropologie's version. lol I quite love the Tea Garden Sheath with the flutter of flowers at the waist. It's like a visual representation of butterflies in your stomach and that feeling of lighthearted excitement.

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had to laugh about your designer->anthro->forever 21 trajectory. I love your description of the Tea Garden Sheath.

      Delete
  3. The Banana Republic dress is gorgeous...I'm considering it, but I don't really like a high neck! It would look great on you though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems to be going pretty fast... I went to the store today and they were out of most of the sizes. I tried on a similar dress in black and white. The high neck is not my favourite either but it's good for work. I'm going to wait for a 40% promo then order online I think.

      Delete