Saturday, May 2, 2015

April showers...

It's been more than a month since I posted for lots of reasons.

I wrote in my last post that March was tough. It was a really busy month for me at work, and then on March 10, one of our friends, Robson Gmoser, died in an avalanche. We hadn't known him for long but he was such a warm person that we really felt like we'd lost a good friend.

A beautiful day at Battle Abbey
Heading over to a run called "Steepness", with Robson in the lead
I'm not sure how it happened, but somehow April was even busier than March.

The one high point of April was our trip to Fairy Meadow. I wasn't sure how I would feel spending time in the backcountry after what happened in March but that joy and wonder that I've always felt in the mountains is still there. I skied 8 days in a row, most days covering more than 20 kilometers with 2000 meters of elevation gain.

video

I'm hoping May will be a better month and that I'll be able to post weekly again. Thank you for continuing to read!

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. I hope May brings some rest and peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. May has been marginally better.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Liana... I am so sorry for the loss of your friend... what a wonderful tribute to him that the joy of being on the mountain is still so alive. Sending you virtual xx's and oo's.

    xo,cynthia

    Wheeeee... what a video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia. Robson was definitely the kind of person who seemed to have nine lives...

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend - my condolences go out to you, your friends & his family. I love the mountains & completely agree with the awe & "at home" feeling you get while in them. But I guess we always have to remember what a privilege it is to be able to play & enjoy these wild places & to never forget to respect mother nature & the very fact that the unexpected can always happen no matter how prepared you try to be. I think anyone who devotes their time to the mountains knows the risks of that privilege but we continue to do it because we love it & it makes us feel so alive!! Sorry to get all philosophical there but it's definitely something I've often thought about especially being in a professional where an injury to my hands, brain or body could truly be detrimental to my career! Maybe that's why I'll never be a trad climber - haha!! I'll stick to sport & bouldering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. You are absolutely right about the unexpected.

      I prefer sport climbing and bouldering too... but have to admit that the serious injuries I've witnessed have been while bouldering.

      Delete
  4. I'm really sorry to hear what happened to your friend!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope May is a better month for you as well. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Experiencing loss definitely throws us off our axis. It's wonderful that your getaway was one of joy and wonder instead of grief. That's a better way to celebrate Robson's memory anyways. Hugs!

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I guess I feel like my time in the mountains is also my time to remember the friends I've lost.

      Delete