Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Outfit: Oscar de la Renta

After the Flashdance debacle, I thought it would be hard to convince my husband to go to another musical with me. Luckily, the next musical touring through Calgary was the Book of Mormon.

It's written by Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the creative minds responsible for South Park, with Robert Lopez (Avenue Q) so this should give you an idea of what to expect.

The basic premise: two Mormon boys go to Uganda for their mission. They end up in a village which is under the control of a warlord, General Butt Fucking Naked and set to work helping them the only way they know how: by trying to help them find Jesus.

To be honest, I thought that the show would end with General BFN massacring the entire village for converting to Mormonism. I guess that maybe tells you something about how cynical I am. Or maybe it tells you a bit about my experiences working in other countries.

In any case, that's not actually what happens, although there is a lot of dark humor and irony in the show.

I thought I would find the show offensive and juvenile. It definitely has its moments. One of the most controversial songs, "Hasa diga eebowai" is supposed to translate to "Fuck you, God". Some of the last lines of the song are: "If you don't like what we say, try living here a couple days. Watch all your friends and family die. Hasa diga eebowai". Although I think the show often exploits shock value for laughs, I can't argue with those last lines.

As a musical production, the songs are generally catchy but trite. The second act really seems to drag. There are a lot of cheap shots at the Church of Latter Day Saints, which I found lazy on the part of the writers. In summary: not the best show I've ever seen, but also not the worst.

Bag: Alexander McQueen Knuckle Box Clutch (these are often available for cheaper on The Real Real) (similar)

Outfit details:
Dress: Oscar de la Renta
Scarf: old, from Cambodia
Tights: old, Target
Shoes: Valentino Rockstud Booties (similar but with a low heel)

6 comments:

  1. I need to see this show. Everyone has such a different reactions to it!
    Beautiful dress!!!
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you get to see the show. I'd be interested to know your reaction to it.

      Delete
  2. That dress is gorgeous! I love a great floral print.
    I heard great things about the play. What I like about Trey Parker and Matt Stone is that one is a Republican and the other a Democrat, so you get a balanced comedy script. I think they have been best friends for years too. Some of the South Park episodes were funny so I could see where this play may be entertaining.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't know that about Trey and Matt. I never would have guessed that there is a Republican in that pair!

      Delete
  3. That dress is absolutely gorgeous on you! The fabric has this lovely sheen to it that really captures the light in photos. And I love the multi-color florals. I'd have fun pairing it with different solid cardis and tights.

    I appreciate your rundown of the show, as Kyle and I have considered seeing it for several years now. I'll share your post with him and talk about whether or not we want to go. I'm leaning towards "Yes!".

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I like the idea of wearing it with a cardigan. Maybe with a belt. Hmm.

      I just realized that in the photos it looks like I am a floating torso... ie you can't really see my legs.

      I think it's worth giving the show a chance. But I do appreciate that there are going to be different opinions about it!

      Delete