Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Outfit: Willow Lane Barn wedding

I love Oscar de la Renta dresses, but I'm not as fond of the designer prices. And while I've noticed that stores like Anthropologie and Banana Republic often carry very similar prints and styles, I was very pleased when I discovered The Outnet and The Real Real

The two sites are very different. The Outnet is the discount version of Net-a-Porter. I've noticed that styles tend to show up on there about 1-2 years after they were current. They stock handbags, shoes and accessories as well as clothing. There are usually a range of sizes available. The items are new with tags, and as such, the discounts are not usually as steep. They occasionally will have additional promotions, like 30% off selected items. You have to pay for shipping and duties, but returns are free and very convenient and easy. 

The Real Real is primarily a consignment site, although I've found new with tags items and sample items on the site which have never been worn. Each item has measurements listed as well as a description of the condition of the item. I've generally found these to be accurate. The prices are quite a bit cheaper than retail, and there is a mix of older items (ie up to 10 years) and current season items. They seem to constantly have an extra 20% off promotion running, and at the end of the month, items are often marked down 30%. Shipping and duties are again extra, and returns are not included. I have only returned one item so far, and I found it to be a hassle. Whereas with The Outnet, you just slap on the DHL label and call for pickup, with The Real Real, you have to make all the arrangements on your own.

I thought this dress would be perfect for my cousin's fall wedding in rural Alberta. It was held in a beautiful wooden barn in the middle of the prairies, only an hour's drive from Calgary. I love how from Calgary you can be in the mountains, the prairies or the badlands in just an hour by driving in completely different directions.

As you can see, the sun was shining and it was a gorgeous autumn day. Some of my family came all the way from Korea for the wedding and it was great to see them again and celebrate with my cousin.




Outfit details:
Dress: Oscar de la Renta from the Real Real,(similar in pink at the Outnet, also reminds me of the Baikal dress from Anthropologie last winter)
Shoes: Nine West, (similar)
Scarf: from Cambodia
Purse: Sophie Hulme, (similar in green at the Outnetsimilar in black at the Real Real

9 comments:

  1. What beautiful photos! And such a pretty dress. I have heard of Outnet but have not checked them out. Who cares really if something is two years old but brand new - you will have that dress forever. It is timeless. Ahhhh... so pretty!
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am also not very picky about having the latest fashions... I'd rather buy something classic. I'm glad you also think this dress will stand the test of time.

      Delete
  2. That dress really is lovely. I've browsed The Outnet a handful of times, but I've never actually pulled the trigger on anything. Do you get nailed on customs with them, or do they look after it up front online?

    Also, holy barn doors! That thing is massive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They charge duties up front so no surprises... but the exchange rate right now is kind of depressing.

      I wish I'd taken a photo with the full barn in the background... you're right, it was massive!

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of either of those sites, so I'll have to check them out! I'm noticing myself lusting after more and more designer wares, and I certainly can't afford the current seasonal styles. You're dressed beautifully for this wedding. And the surroundings are gorgeous. We had a barn wedding too, so I have a soft spot for those!

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I remember your lovely wedding photos! I'd say in Calgary it's more common to head to the mountains for a wedding instead of into the farmland, but I agree that there is something very romantic and lovely about a barn wedding.

      Delete
  4. What wonderful photos. I grew up in Alberta.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, a fellow Albertan. I had no idea!

      Delete
  5. You look so gorgeous hun! I love looking at designer clothes as well, but I like alternative clothes instead because they're easy on my wallet!

    xoxo,
    www.thefrugalblogger.net

    ReplyDelete