Sunday, September 13, 2015

Tanzania, again, and an outfit

I was lucky enough to go back to Tanzania this summer for work. Most of the time, I was in Mwanza. It's not a particularly touristy town, but it's on the shores of Lake Victoria which is very lovely and picturesque (although teeming with schistosomiasis, a nasty parasite that enters through the skin and makes swimming a bad idea).

Mwanza means "Rock City", and true to its name, there are boulders and rocks everywhere. Some of the rocks have names. Dancing Rock overlooks the city and the lake, and it is named that because they have filmed music videos there.

There were no music videos when we visited, but it's an awesome spot to watch the sun setting over the lake.

The skirt I'm wearing in these photos is an African wax print. There are tailors in certain areas of town, and they can make clothing from photos. I found a photo of a skirt I liked on Etsy and picked the fabric at the tailor's shop. She took my measurements, and then the skirt was ready 2 days later.


Outfit details:
Shirt: very old, Smart Set
Skirt: handmade, from Tanzania (wax print but maxi length)
Shoes: Naturalizer
Purse: very old, Banana Republic
Closeup of the fabric

9 comments:

  1. I'd love to see a close up of the print on your skirt. I'm intrigued by the wax print.

    Whereabouts are you from? For some reason I thought you lived in Canmore. Or do you travel a lot for work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've added a closeup photo of the print.

      You're right, I do live in Canmore. I travel a few times a year for work.

      Delete
  2. I'm about to google rock city after I post this comment! This is so cool! I never thought about visiting Tanzania but I think now I will! And you look great!

    xoxo,
    WWW.THEFRUGALBLOGGER.NET
    INSTAGRAM
    FACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanzania is a great place to visit. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Oh I too would love to see a close up of the skirt! From what I can see it is a gorgeous print. How fun to get a skirt made especially for you! And in Tanzania no less!
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done! It was very fun getting something custom-made, and it's a nice souvenir to have.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for posting the close-up! What a beautiful print!

      Delete
  4. Awesome story about your skirt! How neat. And to have it custom-made for you in just two days? How very special! A much better souvenir than schistosomiasis. lol

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete