Wednesday, October 7, 2015

And... back to Assiniboine


You might remember that last year, our plans to climb Mt Assiniboine got shut down by the weather. Not to be deterred, we decided to make another attempt at the end of August.

My mom turned 70 this year and my dad will be turning 75, so to celebrate, we brought my parents along. This time, instead of camping, we stayed at the beautiful and historic lodge. I honestly believe this is one of the most unique and picturesque places to stay in the Canadian Rockies. It can be accessed by a 5-hour hike or a 15-minute helicopter ride. Once you arrive, the staff spoil you with gourmet meals and snacks. The days are spent hiking along ridgetops, watching grizzly bear cubs playing in the meadow and relaxing in the sauna. At night, the private cabins and lodge rooms are snug and cozy with real mattresses, fluffy pillows and down duvets. 

Our plan was to climb up to the Hind Hut after my parents left and climb Assiniboine the following day. Unfortunately, the day we landed, we were hit by a blizzard... and it then proceeded to snow and/or rain every day for the next week. Fortunately, the lodge had a free room that we were able to snag as camping in the snow would have been pretty unpleasant. We still enjoyed ourselves, and it's a good excuse for another trip next year.

The cozy Strom cabin. Home away from home.

Delicious butternut squash ravioli. This was just the appetizer!

Lovely views from the Nub (or was it the Nublet? The Nib? The Niblet? Who names these places...)

Lunchtime
Grizzly bear cubs with mama not too far behind. Needless to say, this was taken with a telephoto lens!

The mighty Mt Assiniboine, looking very wintry and unclimbable. We'll try again next year!

4 comments:

  1. Wow what fantastic photos!

    My sister has thought about staying in those cabins before. I miss my hikes in Alberta and BC.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Alberta and BC miss you too!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh those photos are so beautiful! And I am definitely glad those baby bears were faaaar away. Are you ever scared that you will run in to scary wild life when you are hiking or am I just a too scared city girl to think about that?
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most bear-human encounters turn out ok, but I still would not want to come close to a mama bear with cubs or surprise a bear that is feeding! I think it is wise to have a lot of respect for these animals!

      (I'm also more scared of cougars than bears...)

      Delete